In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I just couldn’t resist. These emoji heart softies might be one of my favorites. But don’t I say that about all of my patterns? What can I say, except that I love What I do? So, the basic crochet pattern to make hearts is available for free below. If you want the directions for adding Kawaii-style faces onto the heart, or if you’d like a printable pdf version of these crochet hearts, you’ll have to purchase the pattern HERE for just a couple of dollars. I’ve got to stay in business somehow, right? So, without further ado, the FREE crochet pattern for Valentine’s Day Hearts 😍
• Hook size: you can use whatever size hook you want. Keeping in mind that a larger hook will result in a larger Heart. I used E/4-3.5 MM in these images.
• Yarn: again, this is irrelevant so long as it coincides with your hook size. I used worsted weight (red heart super saver) in these images. You will need a few different colors depending on the color of Heart you want to make.
• Tapestry needle is optional for sewing in ends and attaching pieces.
STITCHES YOU NEED TO KNOW
– Ch – Chain – YO, pull through
– Ss – Slip Stitch – Insert hook, YO, pull through both loops on hook
– Sc – Single Crochet – Insert hook, YO, pull through, YO, pull through both loops on hook
– Sc2tog – Single Crochet 2 Together – Insert hook into first stitch, YO, pull through, insert hook into second stitch, YO, pull through, YO, pull through all loops on hook
– Hdc – Half Double Crochet – YO, insert hook, YO, pull through, YO, pull through all loops on hook
– Inc – Increase – work two hdc stitches both into the same space
Designer’s note: an increase stitch (abbreviated inc), is worked by placing two hdc stitches into the same stitch. Not sc stitches for this particular pattern.
ROW 1: With heart color, ch 4, sc in second ch from hook and all the way across (3), ch 1 and turn.
ROW 2: inc, sc 1, inc (5) ch 1 and turn
ROW 3: inc, sc 3, inc (7) ch 1 and turn
ROW 4: inc, sc 5, inc (9) ch 1 and turn
ROW 5: inc, sc 7, inc (11) ch 1 and turn
ROW 6: inc, sc 9, inc (13) ch 1 and turn
ROW 7: inc, sc 11 inc (15) ch 1 and turn
ROWs 8-10: sc all the way across (15), ch 1 and turn
ROW 11: sc2tog, sc 3, sc2tog (5), ch 1 and turn
ROW 12: sc2tog, sc 1, sc2tog (3), ch 1 and turn
ROW 13: sc across (3) finish off
ROW 14: count over one stitch on ROW 11, insert hook and repeat ROWs 11-13 (don’t finish off).
RND 15: ch 1 and sc around entire heart shape, at each “point” work the following (sc, inc, sc)