I had to make my own living and my own opportunity! But I made it! Don’t sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them! – C.J. Walker
If you want to truly be successful at selling your hand crafted goods, you have to actively search for the sale. People are not going to come up to you and, out of the blue, ask for you to make them something. It just isn’t going to work like that. Some of you who have the blessed opportunity to stay home all day might be wondering, “how can I find these opportunities?” It isn’t easy, that’s for sure. However, the world of technology makes this business so much more attainable, and I am going to show you how to utilize these.
- Create your product. This isn’t necessarily part of the “making opportunity” equation, but people need to see what you have to offer. So, if you can’t offer finished products, at least have examples.
- Show your product. List pictures online, set up a table at a craft show, host a home show, set up a meeting with a store manager. YOU take the step forward, take the initiative, and create the opportunity to show off your product.
- Keep moving forward. Always. To continue in the business you have to keep going forward, keep creating new products, keep advertising and marketing the old products. Striving to improve yourself and your business strategies and methods.
- Contact opportunities. If you hear about something exciting that can better you or your business, attack it. If there is a class, take it. If there is a new supply store, check it out. If you hear about a convention that is related to your craft or selling anything, volunteer to give a talk. If you hear of someone who is interested in purchasing what you sell, tell them about yourself, and offer them a discount.
- Create contacts. Connect with others who do the same thing. Encourage word-of-mouth sales. Stay in touch with beneficial people! Help others whenever you can.
If you follow all of the above steps, you may be quite amazed and impressed at how far your business can go in just 1 years time. Waiting for opportunity to come to you…well…it just won’t. Take the initiative and start searching!
I’ve got a blogging contest going on right now, all you have to do is blog (or comment) about the given topic to be entered for a chance to win $20.00 to the craft store of your choice (wal-mart, joann’s, or hobby lobby). Just go HERE for more details 😀
- Why to Pick your Niche, and 2 steps for doing just that. (familybugs.wordpress.com)
- Fear is Normal, Healthy even (gingerinthesun.com)
- 8 of Our Favorite Startup Stories from 2012 (tech.co)